15.5 C
Manchester
19.9 C
Ottawa
Tuesday, July 16, 2024

United Table £59M Bid For “Excellent” Midfielder But Another Club Has Also Made The Same Offer

- Advertisement -

BACK Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain have made bids for Benfica midfielder Joao Neves, according to the Correio da Manha. The Portuguese newspaper claims that the two teams were willing to pay €70m (£59m) for the Portuguese international. However, Benfica have decided to reject both proposals, with President Rui Costa said to be determined to keep hold of Neves this summer. The Correio da Manha report that the only way that the 19-year-old leaves the Estadio da Luz before the transfer window closes is if a club triggers his €120m (£102m) release clause. Why are United so determined to sign Neves? Many regard the teenager as one of the most promising young midfielders in European football. Speaking about Neves earlier this year, United captain Bruno Fernandes said it was no surprise that the Red Devils and other teams had taken a keen interest in him: “I don’t know if United rumours are true, but I know he is ready for that big jump. He is an excellent player, he’s with the national team… that’s also why the big clubs are after him.” Despite his undoubted talent, though, it is unlikely that United are willing to break their transfer record to secure his signature. Neves has plenty of suitors United are by no means the only Premier League team who are keeping close tabs on the teenager. Respected journalist Fabrizio Romano has confirmed that both Arsenal and Manchester City have scouted him. However, based on reports from Portugal, it appears the main competition for Neves will come from PSG. It has to be pointed out that neither the Ligue One side nor United have come close to matching the buyout fee yet, so this transfer saga could extend all the way to the end of the window. Watch Football and Sport programmes on Shots! here David Tully David has worked as a football reporter for the last fifteen years. Having started as an intern at Snack Media, he then went on to become a freelancer, working on various different sites. At the start of 2023, he took up his current role as content writer for National World’s Football News Network.

Related Articles

spot_img

Latest Articles