Styrmir Snær Þrastarson, player of Þór Þ., Is the only newcomer in the Icelandic national basketball team to meet Slovakia and Luxembourg in their last two games in the World Cup qualifiers 2023 .
The Icelandic team travels to Kosovo on Saturday. The last games in the group take place in a kind of “bubble” in that country. Iceland meets Slovakia on Thursday 13. February and Luxembourg two days later.
Iceland is in the top of the group and needs one more victory to secure a place in the main qualifiers of the World Cup.
Craig Pedersen chose thirteen players participating in the two games. Styrmir Snær is the only newcomer in the Icelandic group but he has made a breakthrough with Þór in the Domino’s league this winter. Haukur Helgi Pálsson, Ægir Þór Steinarsson, Pavel Ermolinskij, Breki Gylfason and Collin Pryor did not make the choice for various reasons.
Seven of the thirteen players in the Icelandic team play in Iceland. Four play in Spain, one in Germany and one in Lithuania.
The Icelandic team
- Elvar Már Friðriksson · BC Siauliai, Lithuania (41)
- Gunnar Ólafsson · Stjarnan (18)
- Hjálmar Stefánsson · CB Carbajosa, Spain (18)
- Hörður Axel Vilhjálmsson · Keflavík (86)
- Kári Jónsson · Girona Basket, Spain (13)
- Kristinn Pálsson · Grindavík (15)
- Ólafur Ólafsson · Grindavík (22)
- Ragnar Ágúst Nathanaelsson · Haukar (49)
- Sigtryggur Arnar Björnsson · Real Canoe, Spain ()
- Styrmir Snær Þrastarson · Þór Þorlákshöfn (Novice)
- Tómas Hilmarsson · Stjarnan (8)
- Tryggvi Snær Hlinason · Basket Zaragoza, Spain (41)
Jón Axel Guðmundsson · Fraport Skyliners, Germany ()