BACK David Tully Sep 11th 2023 BBC Sport presenter Gary Lineker says Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay’s impressive form for Scotland will attract potential suitors for the player. The 26-year-old scored against Cyprus on Friday, taking his total to 6 goals in 5 European Championship qualifiers, and Lineker says his performances at international level will “surely” draw interest from other clubs: “I notice Scott McTominay playing and getting in the box a lot. He scored again in this game, he scored a couple in the game first time against Cyprus. He’s top scorer in qualifying. It’s nuts, yet he’s not really getting a look in at Manchester United. Someone will go for him surely?” The Scottish international is not in United manager Erik ten Hag’s plans. He has played just 7 minutes of first-team football so far this season. McTominay came on for brief cameos against Wolves and Nottingham Forest, while he was an unused substitute in the defeat to Spurs. Illness prevented him from being included in the matchday squad against Arsenal last time out. His future lies away from United The arrival of Sofyan Amrabat from Fiorentina on deadline day means that McTominay’s game time will become even more limited. With Amrabat and Casemiro taking up the holding midfield roles, and the likes of Bruno Fernandes, Christian Eriksen and Mason Mount being deployed in more advanced positions, there is no room for McTominay. He will likely need to leave the Red Devils when the transfer window reopens in January. Where would McTominay go? West Ham had an approach knocked back for the player in the summer, but their offer did not match United’s £40m valuation. The Hammers are unlikely to make another approach, having subsequently recruited Edson Alvarez and James Ward-Prowse. Newcastle have also been credited with an interest in McTominay, while Bayern Munich were suggested as a potential destination before they made an approach for Fulham’s Joao Palhinha. Watch this video on Shots! TV reviewing Manchester United and Manchester City’s transfer window business David Tully David has worked as a football reporter for the last fifteen years. Having started as an intern at Snack Media, he then went on to become a freelancer, working on various different sites. At the start of 2023, he took up his current role as content writer for National World’s Football News Network.