21.3 C
Manchester
23.1 C
Ottawa
Monday, July 15, 2024

REPORT: Ten Hag Unlikely To Reunite With £42M Dutch Star Despite United Holding Talks With Intermediaries

- Advertisement -

BACK David Tully Jun 18th 2024 Bayern Munich defender Matthijs de Ligt is not a priority target for Manchester United, according to The Athletic. The Netherlands international has been tipped to link up with his former Ajax boss Erik ten Hag once again, but the website says that “other centre-backs are higher up” the club’s list of options. It has been reported over the last week that intermediaries representing de Ligt have approached at least five Premier League clubs to inform them about the player’s availability. In addition to the Red Devils, the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle have also been contacted. Who are United targeting instead of de Ligt? The Manchester club’s first choice is clearly Everton’s Jarrad Branthwaite. A bid of £35m (plus add-ons) has already been rejected with the Toffees looking for double that amount. If the two parties fail to find a compromise on the fee, United may decide to consider one of their backup options. Crystal Palace’s Marc Guehi is believed to be under consideration but he will cost around £50m to £55m. Lille’s Leny Yoro would be cheaper at £42m but the Frenchman is said to favour a switch to Real Madrid. Erik ten Hag’s side could also turn their attention to long-term target Jean-Clair Todibo. Could the club go back in for the Dutchman? Reports in Germany say Bayern are willing to sell de Ligt for around £42m, which does make him one of the cheaper targets on United’s shortlist. At 24 years of age, the defender is still pretty young as well, so you can’t completely rule out a bid being made for him later in the summer. For the time being, though, it appears that there are at least four other players ahead of him in the pecking order. Watch Football and Sport programmes on Shots! here David Tully David has worked as a football reporter for the last fifteen years. Having started as an intern at Snack Media, he then went on to become a freelancer, working on various different sites. At the start of 2023, he took up his current role as content writer for National World’s Football News Network.

Related Articles

spot_img

Latest Articles