4.4 C
Manchester
-2 C
Ottawa
Saturday, January 28, 2023

Man Utd transfer news live – Weghorst latest

- Advertisement -

Manchester United resume their long-standing quest for silverware at Old Trafford tonight (8pm) – while keeping one eye on the January window with the market in full swing. Having won seven games on the bounce in all competitions, United welcome League One opponents Charlton to Old Trafford tonight with a place in the Carabao Cup semi-finals up for grabs. But can Erik ten Hag help United pick up their first trophy since 2017 during his first season at the helm? In their attempts to strengthen, meanwhile, the club are working on a deal to sign Burnley striker Wout Weghorst on loan. However, there are stumbling blocks in that chase with the Netherlands international currently at Besiktas where he has scored nine goals in 18 games this campaign. As things stand, there is no recall clause in his agreement with the Turkish side. TODAY’S BIG TALKING POINT: What do you think about Weghorst? Have your say here. Keep tabs on the latest news, views and transfer rumours with dedicated updates below.Key Events16:16KEY EVENTUnited vs Charlton LIVEWe’re going to shift our focus from transfer to United’s Carabao Cup clash with Charlton Athletic!Erik ten Hag’s side will be aiming to reach the semi-finals of the competition and extend their winning run to eight matches in all competitions.Click here for LIVE updates from our match blog16:01Dan BrownTen Hag’s coaching inspirations Self-belief is key. #MUFC— Manchester United (@ManUtd) January 10, 2023 14:54Isaac JohnsonCharlton skipper names United star his team will focus on stoppingCharlton Athletic skipper George Dobson was only handed the armband last month and is now about to lead his team out at Old Trafford.The midfielder – who was in the away end for West Ham’s loss to United in October – has explained how he expects tonight’s League Cup quarter-final tie to be “a brilliant occasion”.He also circled which United star the Addicks would be aiming to keep quiet during the match.Read who here 14:42Isaac JohnsonInter ‘willing to consider’ January exit for DumfriesInter Milan have reportedly outlined that they would be willing to let Denzel Dumfries leave in January for the right price.The Italians have set a £53m valuation on the defender and would prefer a summer exit, says Gazzetta dello Sport, via Sport Witness. However, they could be tempted to part company this month if a suitable offer comes in.United have long been linked with Dumfries, who has been touted as potential competition for Diogo Dalot.That said, they do not have vast amounts to spend this summer and are likely to only entertain loan deals – unlike Chelsea. The Blues are said to be tracking Dumfries and could launch an offer amid their right-back injury woes with Reece James. (Image: GES Sportfoto/Getty Images)14:22Isaac JohnsonOpinion: United have made the right decision on Joao FelixFirst Cody Gakpo and now Joao Felix. A cynic or pessimist could certainly make an argument for Manchester United failing in the January transfer window.United have been heavily linked with Felix since he was bursting onto the scene at Benfica but it appears Chelsea have won the race to sign him, beating out stiff competition from Arsenal. It may well be disappointing for supporters to see United lose out or not even try for more exciting names and instead target Wout Weghorst, but in each case they have made the right decision.Read on here (Image: Jose Breton/Pics Action/NurPhoto via Getty Images)13:44Isaac JohnsonIqbal and Garnacho – United fans pick line-up vs CharltonUnited fans are calling for a number of rotations from Erik ten Hag for tonight’s League Cup qaurter-final with Charlton – but not every player.Antony, Anthony Martial and Lisandro Martinez have all been picked but supporters wish to see two players make their full debuts this evening.See what line-up was chosen here 13:09Isaac JohnsonUnited’s January plans and takeover latestIt’s already been a busy month for United and it could get even more hectic.As well as five more games to play, Erik ten Hag is searching for reinforcements and seems to have landed on Wout Weghorst.And, of course, in the backdrop, the Glazers are still “exploring alternative strategies” for the club.Our chief United reporter Samuel Luckhurst has been answering your questions on all the above and more here (Image: ANP via Getty Images)12:26Isaac JohnsonHow United should line-up vs CharltonUnited are one step away from a third League Cup semi-final in four years.Charlton of League One visit Old Trafford for tonight’s quarter-final and Erik ten Hag is expected to make several rotations ahead of Manchester City on Saturday.As a result, a handful of players could be handed their competitive debuts.Our senior United reporters have their say on who could make the line-up here (Image: 2023 Manchester United FC)11:55Isaac JohnsonUnited ‘handed Pickford setback’Jordan Pickford has apparently told Everton he wishes to stay at Goodison Park.The goalkeeper had been linked with a move to United, with the Sun claiming that the Reds are willing to double his £100,000-a-week wages.The Toffees are reluctant to meet his new salary demands and talks have stalled as a result but nevertheless Pickford’s preference is to stay on at Everton.The England No.1 has 18 months left on his current deal. David de Gea is approaching the end of his United contract but is expected to pen a new deal before it expries. (Image: Fantasista/Getty Images)11:23Isaac JohnsonFerdinand tells Harry Maguire he must leave United“If you’re him you have to leave now. Luke Shaw’s playing centre-back instead of him. “That’s like me going back after the World Cup, playing well… and Patrice Evra is playing centre-back. I’d want to strangle Patrice!”I’d be going to the manager and saying, ‘are you taking the p*** out of me, boss?’. I’d have walked straight into the manager’s office and said, ‘you’re disrespecting me’.”Read what Ferdinand said in full here (Image: Vibe with Five)10:55Isaac JohnsonUnited ‘to pursue’ Harry KaneUnited will reportedly go after Harry Kane if he does not pen a new deal in the summer.The striker has 18 months left on his contract but could seek a move elsewhere if Tottenham continue to underwhelm.ESPN reports United have earmarked Kane as a summer target alongside Napoli’s Victor Osimhen and RB Salzburg attacker Benjamin Sesko.The Reds will be likely only be utlising the loan market this month after spending £225m last summer, hence their chase of Wout Weghorst. (Image: Marc Atkins/Getty Images.)10:20Isaac Johnson’No plans for Qatari takeover of United’Qatar has no active proposals to buy United although is still exploring the possibility of investing in a Premier League club, according to The Times.It reports that Paris Saint-Germain owners Qatar Sports Investments (QSI) met with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy this week regarding a potential minority stake.The Glazers put United up for sale in November and are said to value to club at around £8bn. QSI is thought to only want a shareholder position at an English club for now, rather than a full-scale overhaul.Qatar Sports Investments have ambitious plans but understand not looking to invest in Man Utd or Liverpool at the moment. Any PL club investment would be a minority stake as no plans to sell PSG.— Martyn Ziegler (@martynziegler) January 9, 2023 09:50Isaac JohnsonThree players could debut vs CharltonUnited welcome the visit of League One Charlton tonight as the Reds look to book their place in the League Cup semi-finals.Erik ten Hag is expected to rest a number of players with the Manchester derby on Saturday.As a result three players could be handed their first outings.See who they are here (Image: 2022 Manchester United FC)09:09Isaac JohnsonSneijder can’t believe United’s interest in WeghorstFormer Netherlands hero Wesley Sneijder says he is perplexed by United’s interest in Wout Weghorst.Speaking to VP, he said: “I think they’ve seen the trick with the free kick [in the quarter-final of the World Cup against Argentina], so they don’t fall for that in England anymore.”In terms of striker, is he really someone United are waiting for? I don’t think so. They still have 300 of those in the Premier League. It must be a stunt. This really can’t be true.” (Image: FRANCK FIFE/AFP via Getty Images)08:36Isaac JohnsonBesiktas ‘make loan fee demand’A report from the Telegraph claims Besiktas want a third of any loan fee Burnley recieve for Wout Weghorst if they are cornered into granting an exit.The striker is on loan at the Turkish giants from the Championship club and has scored nine times in 18 appearances.Besiktas are determined not to let the Dutchman leave and have rejected an initial offer from United in the hope of fending off their pursuit. Weghorst’s loan deal does not attain a recall clause and so Beisktas would need to be handed a compensation package for his exit. (Image: ANP)08:04Isaac JohnsonA reminder of Besiktas’ statement on Weghorst”The claim that there is an exit clause in our football player’s contract, stating that his contract can be terminated with a compensation of 2.5 million Euros in case of an offer from the Premier League, is fictitious.”However, the news that the player in question will leave the team on Tuesday is completely untrue. The initiative regarding Wout Weghorst belongs entirely to Besiktas. “If there is a development on this issue, the information will be shared.” (Image: ANP)Liam WoodDalot addresses contract discussionsDiogo Dalot says talks are progressing over a new contract for him.United triggered their one-year option on the player last month.It means the Portugal defender is currently tied down at Old Trafford until 2024.I think we are in a position to say that we are talking about it, we are negotiating, we are seeing how both parties will benefit. It is no secret I am happy to be here. (Image: Manchester United FC)Liam WoodPick your starting XI vs CharltonLiam WoodUnited working on Weghorst dealUnited are still working on a compensation package which would convince Besiktas to terminate their loan agreement with Wout Weghorst and allow the striker to move to Old Trafford. An offer has been made to Burnley, which has been passed on to the Turkish giants, but Besiktas opted to reject that proposal and want to keep the 30-year-old for the entire season.Read the full story here (Image: ANP via Getty Images)Liam WoodHello and welcomeHello and welcome to our latest United transfer blog.Stay tuned for updates from Old Trafford and beyond.

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

spot_img

Latest Articles